1090 wont turn off - KTM 1090 Adventure Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy 1090 wont turn off

Here is a new one! Got home from a ride, stopped the bike, put it in Neutral, lifted it onto the centre stand, and turned the key (and removed it from the ignition) to stop the engine, guess what , NOTHING HAPPENED! bike continued to idle, could rev it and ride it with no key in the ignition. stopped it with the kill switch , but fuel pump continued running and lights stayed on, disconnected the battery to shut it down.

Nothing I did worked to fix it, tried spare key etc. called KTM cape town and they sent a tow truck, waiting for a diagnosis. anyone else experience this or heard of this before?
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 04:37 PM

I had mine up on a wheelstand oiling the chain and noted that with it in gear running, it won't turn off. Was your tire up and spinning? I think this is to prevent your engine from shutting off when the key gets pinched under the moronic fork clamp that runs over the ignition switch. Safety. Maybe yours was misdetecting whether the wheel was in motion?

2017 KTM 1090 Adv R
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleavage View Post
Here is a new one! Got home from a ride, stopped the bike, put it in Neutral, lifted it onto the centre stand, and turned the key (and removed it from the ignition) to stop the engine, guess what , NOTHING HAPPENED! bike continued to idle, could rev it and ride it with no key in the ignition. stopped it with the kill switch , but fuel pump continued running and lights stayed on, disconnected the battery to shut it down.

Nothing I did worked to fix it, tried spare key etc. called KTM cape town and they sent a tow truck, waiting for a diagnosis. anyone else experience this or heard of this before?

I have heard of this before but I'm not sure it was specifically a 1090 but it was a KTM. Keep us updated please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 07:24 PM

Mine was in neutral and I flipped the key off and it kept running. It did so for several seconds before shutting off. There is almost always a delay from when I flip the key off to when the bike shuts off, but it's usually half a second or less. I have a Super Duke, as well as 2 other bikes currently that don't do that. It may be specific to this beast.

2019 KTM Super Duke R
2017 Aprilia RSV4 RF
2017 KTM Adventure R
2009 Suzuki DR650/790

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page