Windscreen Experience/Recommendations - KTM 1090 Adventure Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cantabridgian

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Windscreen Experience/Recommendations

Anyone have any experience/suggestions/advice on which wind screen manufacturer and height works best for our KTM 1090R?

I prefer an exact fit flavor and see that Madstad, Puig and Touratech make one; probably other makers as well presumably?

I'm 5'10" and I think the factory one works reasonably well but looking for a little more protection for an upcoming 8K mile ride to Alaska and back where we probably do some 400+ mile days.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:34 PM

I second that. I have been stuck behind a tall touring V-Stream windscreen the last 19K miles on an FJ-09. The first few rides on the KTM were a serious wake-up call; even my sportbikes did not have this much wind hitting me. My trip last year to Boise Id and back, 3250 miles was a breeze ( or lack thereof ) with that monster barn door leading the way. I would not expect the same level of protection but would like a bit less wind noise.

I will keep my eyes on this post as I am looking to prioritize my "rat hole" money for farkles I plan to buy this spring. My Amazon cart is getting pretty full of options. Some new safety gear is my initial priority though.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:30 AM

I am 6’2” and put a medium height Vstream on mine for long trips. It uses the existing mounting points and is a really clean set up. I am still looking well over the top of the screen. Very smooth air but maybe not as smooth as the Madstads I have used in the past. I went with the Vstream because of the ease of changing windscreens back an forth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 12:57 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNRACR View Post
I am 6’2” and put a medium height Vstream on mine for long trips. It uses the existing mounting points and is a really clean set up. I am still looking well over the top of the screen. Very smooth air but maybe not as smooth as the Madstads I have used in the past. I went with the Vstream because of the ease of changing windscreens back an forth.

Just bought the same wind screen, I am 5'11" and I can see over the screen perfectly in the low position, with it raised I have to look through it. I does a great job, no more crazy wind noise in my helmet even with the helmet visor up
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 08:55 PM

I keep my stock one in the low position all the time. I guess I'm kind of a wind junky.

1090R - Wingsexhuast/BDCW.skid/MotoMosko.panniers/JesseLuggage.topbox
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 02:25 PM

I had a great experience with the 18" Madstad on my Triumph Tiger 800XC so I thought I'd try them again.

I ordered the same 18" Madstad for my 1090R and experienced alot of buffeting. I'm 6'3" tall but 36 of that is inseam. I let my buddy who is 5'6" ride the bike without even mentioning the new windscreen. When he got off the bike he commented on how much buffeting there was.

I spoke with them and they're very helpful and sincerely wanted me to have a good experienc and they suggested I add about 3" in height by taping on some cardboard. I did that and it changed nothing in terms of buffeting. It doesn't seem like Madstad did any testing on this bike.

As a side note, there is a 15% restocking fee and it cost me $47 to send the windscreen back. So all in all it will cost about $100 just to try this windscreen out to find out it doesn't work well on the 1090 Adventure R.

-California Steve
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 03:23 PM

I replaced the stock mirrors, which wasn't cheap, but made a big, big difference. The new mirrors are great!
Then I added one of those windshield extension spoilers (amazon 29.99) which was cheap, and also helped.
I now get wind on my shoulders, which isn't bad unless its real cold. A wider screen would help and something I may consider. I am 6΄1"

Rottweiler Performance Quick Flip Mirror Mounts (Arrow Kit)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WJ6P4QD...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
1090yoyo likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 12:23 PM

I agree with Cantabridgian, I've read somewhere that the stock mirrors cause a lot of buffeting.

1090R - Wingsexhuast/BDCW.skid/MotoMosko.panniers/JesseLuggage.topbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page