KTM 1090 Adventure Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I start the bike after sitting (cold) it takes 3-5 times starting and stalling, ktm dealer says it’s their first time with this issue. I requested to take a new bike off the floor to see if it does the same - and it does. Any solutions, will it get better?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine also did that & the dealer had no idea, but I fitted a Wings pipe after the first service, & problem solved. I had a cannister delete kit already fitted which made no difference (not expected though) & I don't understand why a pipe would fix it, but it did & has been perfect ever since (sounds good too).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has done this with since brand new and stock, still the same issue with the Wings slip on muffler. Today it ran after the first start, maybe it’s just taking a while to break in. Sounds like the issue seems to go away after some time. The Wings muffler was a great improvement in sound and looks great also.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sounds like my old 990 and my current 690

My 525 is the same but that's just old and knackered

And the 1090 demo I had all day Saturday

Maybe it's just a KTM thing?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just bought a 2018 and mine does same thing. Kind of annoying. Will be adding exhaust soon. Will update of anything changes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My bike left me stranded at the side of the road with the gas gauge indicating three bars and the trip computer displaying 120km remaining.

The reason this is important is my bike started doing the cold start thing for the last three days when the tank was getting low on fuel, I never had the cold start issue when the tank was near full.

So why did my bike crap out? with 689 km on the OD you may ask? The dealer prep failed to make sure both fuel petcocks were in the open position, the right side was closed.
I have not had the cold start issue since. So you may want to verify that both your fuel petcocks are in the open position.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
You should all check with your dealers as there is a recall on the fuel pump. Mine did not have the problems listed above but they "dealer" replaced the fuel motor anyway. They said all KTM 1090 have been recalled your dealers may not be up to date in their recalls. To note, the dealer nor KTM sent me a notice of the recall, I had as a normal practice when having my bikes serviced insist on the spot that they do a recall search with the manufacturer.

Good luck, its a great bike

·
Registered
129 Posts
You should all check with your dealers as there is a recall on the fuel pump. Mine did not have the problems listed above but they "dealer" replaced the fuel motor anyway. They said all KTM 1090 have been recalled your dealers may not be up to date in their recalls. To note, the dealer nor KTM sent me a notice of the recall, I had as a normal practice when having my bikes serviced insist on the spot that they do a recall search with the manufacturer.

Good luck, its a great bike

Hi MichelLM,

Is your bike the 2018 model? When I was at the dealer last week for my fuel petcock issue the service guy told me the recall was only for the 2017 KTM

I checked online with KTM when I got the bike and my VIN said no recalls.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mines a late 2017, the dealer checked a couple months ago and I had no fuel pump recall, I just checked my VIN online and still nothing. I did have a tail light recall though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got stranded on my 2017 by being out of gas with the gauge saying full. Fuel level sensor failed. The KTM tech told the dealership that ethanol can gum up the plunger. Replacement sensor is on backorder until August (apparently they’re replacing with a new part) but they gave a tip to temporarily fix the existing one until new part comes in. So far no issues since getting it back. No idea why this wouldn’t be a recall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got stranded on my 2017 by being out of gas with the gauge saying full. Fuel level sensor failed. The KTM tech told the dealership that ethanol can gum up the plunger. Replacement sensor is on backorder until August (apparently they’re replacing with a new part) but they gave a tip to temporarily fix the existing one until new part comes in. So far no issues since getting it back. No idea why this wouldn’t be a recall.

FYI, the new sensor will not fix issue. You need to take the sensor out of the tank, and sand down the float inside the tube. This is the only way to fix the issue with the gauge reading incorrectly. There are tons of info out there on the issue across all big twins (1290-1090) as well as some video's on youtube on the issue. Took me maybe 20 min max. Once the float is fixed and the sensor is put back in the bike, it will take a day or so to start reading correctly. A good idea on any vehicle is to reset trip at every fill up.

-Dan

·
Registered
11 Posts
FYI, the new sensor will not fix issue. You need to take the sensor out of the tank, and sand down the float inside the tube. This is the only way to fix the issue with the gauge reading incorrectly. There are tons of info out there on the issue across all big twins (1290-1090) as well as some video's on youtube on the issue. Took me maybe 20 min max. Once the float is fixed and the sensor is put back in the bike, it will take a day or so to start reading correctly. A good idea on any vehicle is to reset trip at every fill up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTQWYg7mPPI

-Dan

That was the “temporary tip” that KTM told them to do. I never went back to check on the new part since whatever they did hasn’t had any issues yet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
May be fixed

Since I’ve brought this issue up with my dealer a few months ago they had discussions with ktm reps. They suggested to have the bike in the shop hooked up to the computer to have some sort of settings set to zero. Since then bike fires up hot or cold on the first start, such a relief. I’ve also been stranded on the road, turns out a clip on the fuel pump fell off which is inside the tank. That was at 300 miles on the odometer, it has been frustrating but I’m hoping the bugs are just getting worked out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts