KTM 1090 Adventure Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I trust starting a new thread is appropriate, I looked at the existing threads and I wasn't sure if these are still followed given the time since the last postings.

I'd like better tires for off-road than the Shinko 700 series than I'm using on my 2019 1090r. A year ago I swapped out the stock TKC 80's as I was alarmed at the rate of wear. I was by far using them on asphalt and worried coming into that the winter that they wouldn't grip in the rain. The rear was more than half way through it's wear life after only a few thousand miles.

I put on the Shinkos which are great value for money and very smooth on the highway even at very high speeds. But I've done a considerable amount of off-road since then and find they don't 'bite' and I'm spinning the rear wheel on all types of surface.

I don't know what kind of off road surface I'll be riding on this season but certainly a mix. I don't know if there is a magical tire out there either but one of the hardest stretches I did in 2021 was in mud. I thought a 'knobbier' tire would have helped things but then I read some postings and no longer sure.

At one point the positive response to Motoz Tractionnators seemed the route to go but they are difficult to get here (Canada) seems the 150/70 is out of stock everywhere.

Any assistance appreciated. I'm planning on a SW USA trip this spring with some off-road in Arizona and Utah.

Regards,
Colm

·
Registered
1 Posts
I trust starting a new thread is appropriate, I looked at the existing threads and I wasn't sure if these are still followed given the time since the last postings.

I'd like better tires for off-road than the Shinko 700 series than I'm using on my 2019 1090r. A year ago I swapped out the stock TKC 80's as I was alarmed at the rate of wear. I was by far using them on asphalt and worried coming into that the winter that they wouldn't grip in the rain. The rear was more than half way through it's wear life after only a few thousand miles.

I put on the Shinkos which are great value for money and very smooth on the highway even at very high speeds. But I've done a considerable amount of off-road since then and find they don't 'bite' and I'm spinning the rear wheel on all types of surface.

I don't know what kind of off road surface I'll be riding on this season but certainly a mix. I don't know if there is a magical tire out there either but one of the hardest stretches I did in 2021 was in mud. I thought a 'knobbier' tire would have helped things but then I read some postings and no longer sure.

At one point the positive response to Motoz Tractionnators seemed the route to go but they are difficult to get here (Canada) seems the 150/70 is out of stock everywhere.

Any assistance appreciated. I'm planning on a SW USA trip this spring with some off-road in Arizona and Utah.

Regards,
Colm

Regards,
Colm
Hands down the best off road tire I have found is the Motoz Desert H/T, but they are loud on road. I currently am running Motoz Adventures. Plenty quiet on road, haven't got them off road yet. Did N. AZ BDR and all of UTBDR on a Desert H/T, it was amazing. 10/10!

·
Registered
KTM 1090 Adventure R
3 Posts
Another option I’ve found is the Mitas e-07 or Mitas e-09. The latter being more off-road orientated but both in the Dakar version are super hard wearing and good value. They are a harder tyre than the tkc but subsequently have better life. They’re a good option if you ride off-road regularly but have motorway miles to do too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for the advice, I think either the Motoz Adventure or the Mitas E07 would be good for this year. As before, I'm having difficulty accessing these tires in Canada, out of stock wherever I look. I'll look at getting a set in San Francisco or Las Vegas as I'll be passing through both before any serious off road riding in California, Nevada and Utah. It would make me feel good by burning off remaining tread on the Shinkos before scrapping them, they will get me this far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Keep in mind the Motoz tyres are notoriously difficult to fit and get to seal due to the stiff sidewalls. Get a shop to do it while you have a beer!
(and while they're in there, check the sealing strip is still good too)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Norther Duck, Spanner here in Austin, been reading your saga with John B in Georgetown re Metisse collar drawing to lower the seat a bit on our 1090's.
As George town is fairly close to me would hope to get a copy of the print, I also have a mill and lathe in my garage.
135 euros for this simple device is a bit rich for me !! My phone is 512 954 7210 would appreciate a connection with John B if possible.
Apologies for the unorthodox approach, I know a lot more about motorcycles than electronic communications.
Many thanks in advance.
Spanner, (Chris McCollin.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Norther Duck, Spanner here in Austin, been reading your saga with John B in Georgetown re Metisse collar drawing to lower the seat a bit on our 1090's.
As George town is fairly close to me would hope to get a copy of the print, I also have a mill and lathe in my garage.
135 euros for this simple device is a bit rich for me !! My phone is 512 954 7210 would appreciate a connection with John B if possible.
Apologies for the unorthodox approach, I know a lot more about motorcycles than electronic communications.
Many thanks in advance.
Spanner, (Chris McCollin.)
If you send me your email address I would be happy to forward the plans. Regards

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve run multiple sets of MotoZ Adventure & Rallz. They last really really well even on pavement I once rode a 3/4 worn set from NY to Key west and back 4-5K miles all pavement and still had 1/4 tread left. Really amazing traction off road for their wear. I’ve found that mounting them isn’t so bad so long as you leave the card board spacers in until your ready to mount. Only had one that I dismounted to run a street tire for a trip and deformed the edge ever so slightly with spoons on dismounting and couldn’t get it reseated when I tried remounting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My recommendation is MotoZ Tractionator Adventure. It has some road noise, but I would rather have some road noise rather than being shut out of a great off road ride because the tires dont have. big enough lugs.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’d love a set of those. They were very difficult to procure in Canada recently but Fortnine is stocking them again. The issue is they are 600 bucks a pair......I bought Shinko 800 series for 300 bucks and will see if they are good value for money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts