KTM 1090 Adventure Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello 1090 owners,

I just bought a new '18 1090 Adv R, with 0 miles on it. From the first 15 miles, it has this hard start issue (starts and idles for a second or two then dies). I have to start it 4-7 times before it idles.

My dealer says it is because it is new and that it works itself out. They called the KTM Tech line and they supposedly told them the same information.

I want to love my new bike, but this is very frustrating. Have any of you had the problem go away on its own or is there a fix I can look into?

My bike has 496 miles on it now.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Respectfully,

G

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine has over 2000 miles and still does the same. Many have commented theirs does this too. What I have started doing to eliminate this problem is when I first start bike I blip the throttle. 9 times out of 10 this fixes the issue.

Kind of sucks we pay the money we do for these bikes and have these quirks, but it is what it is unfortunately.

·
Registered
158 Posts
5,000 miles and still does it. You get used to it after a while...and totally forget about it when you blip the throttle after it finally fires up.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have had the issue five or six times in the first 600 km on cold starts in the morning but that's about it. It starts consistently now on the first go and I'm at 5000km now.

I have a hard time with the its normal explanation, it's not normal for any bike I have ever owned and it is not happening on my 1090 but it is on yours. How can that be normal?

When you start the bike and it dies after a few cycles its most likely because its not getting the required fuel.

Anyway ask your dealer how come some 1090's have the problem but others don't.

This is not a cheap motorcycle by any means and owners should not have to put up with bull crap answers.

This is normal?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had the issue five or six times in the first 600 km on cold starts in the morning but that's about it. It starts consistently now on the first go and I'm at 5000km now.

I have a hard time with the its normal explanation, it's not normal for any bike I have ever owned and it is not happening on my 1090 but it is on yours. How can that be normal?

When you start the bike and it dies after a few cycles its most likely because its not getting the required fuel.

Anyway ask your dealer how come some 1090's have the problem but others don't.

This is not a cheap motorcycle by any means and owners should not have to put up with bull crap answers.

This is normal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLfhzCUBOIY
Yes! That is exactly what is happening during my start ups.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same problem. Ive been told by Chris at Rotweiller Performance to check my valves as they can cause a hard start. I will be doing that over the winter. Im at 6000km's and mine still does it from cold.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The first time it fires up, if you give it a little blip of the throttle mine almost always stays running.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
Since I’ve brought this issue up with my dealer a few months ago they had discussions with ktm reps. They suggested to have the bike in the shop hooked up to the computer to have some sort of settings set to zero. Since then bike fires up hot or cold on the first start, such a relief. I’ve also been stranded on the road, turns out a clip on the fuel pump fell off which is inside the tank. That was at 300 miles on the odometer, it has been frustrating but I’m hoping the bugs are just getting worked out.

That's great! Can you ask your dealer exactly what they did so that others others on this forum can contact their dealers and tell therm what your dealer did and maybe this will fix the non-starting issue for others as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was having the exact same issue so I read on adventure rider form somebody said that putting in a new muffler on it stop the issue so I ordered a Leo Vince Nero muffler and Wala problem solved not only does it sound good a lot deeper and throaty but it fires up cold first try every time now I know engines fairly well and the only thing my logical mind can come up with is that the factory muffler is causing too much back pressure on the coldstart and is causing it to stall I picked up the muffler on eBay direct from the factory for 400 bucks looks and sounds awesome they have sound Comparisons on YouTube I would really recommend this exhaust

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Glad to hear the aftermarket exhaust fixed the problem. This makes perfect sense that freeing up the flow out would solve the issue.

Been looking for an excuse to order new exhaust. Just found it! Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had the same issue since new. Not all the time but most. I would blip the throttle once it started to keep it running, but it would not go into fast idle. Found a work around for now. Works every time. If it fails to stay running, use the kill switch and shut it down. Wait for it to turn the electronics off. Turn it back on and listen to the clicks, there is an extra faint click at the end. Now it will start and go into a fast idle. 2000 rpm until warm.

Let me know if it works for you.
Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had the same issue since new. Not all the time but most. I would blip the throttle once it started to keep it running, but it would not go into fast idle. Found a work around for now. Works every time. If it fails to stay running, use the kill switch and shut it down. Wait for it to turn the electronics off. Turn it back on and listen to the clicks, there is an extra faint click at the end. Now it will start and go into a fast idle. 2000 rpm until warm.

Cheers

Sorry, the faint click is between the 2 other ones not at the end.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You would think KTM would jump on this issue instead of saying its normal.

Seriously if I had seen a new 1090 at the local hang out and a guy got on one and proceeded to start it and then had to repeat the process 4 or five times to get the bike going, I would have though to myself nice looking bike but what a POS

I also doubt I would have even gone to the dealer to have a look.

I don't have this issue thank god although my front brakes have some serious gremlins ever since I took possession of the bike.

I realize a fair portion of you may upgrade to an aftermarket exhaust and if it fixes the issue then great but why should anyone have to invest in anything so that the product works as advertised. Seriously you could mod the shite out of a vstrom 1000 and have a better bike than the1090. If were just going to trow money at issues no? Three grand for a new suspension on a vstom and you would end up with a pretty competitive bike compared to the 1090 and no need to worry about your fuel pump, fuel gauge, brakes or your bike starting

Ok .....rant over The bike should start fist time every time. Every bike I have had since 1999 has.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Oh a final though.

To all of you having this issue. Unplug you O2 sensors, the ECU will go "Error must analyze Error" mode and to be safe it will enrich the fuel mixture just to be safe.

Try starting your bike now, ignore the check engine and I bet the bike will roar to life first time every time. Although this is just a theory.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Cheers
I am a little confused after reading your second post about the click in-between the clicks.

If I cycle my kill switch, it clicks once when killing it. When I turn the kill switch to the run position, it clicks twice in close succession and then a third final click.

Are you saying to start it just before the last click, but after the two close clicks? How did you figure this out too?

Thanks,

G20

·
Registered
7 Posts
No, if I here the faint click in between the other 2 then it will start and idle high. If I only here 2 then it will stall. I have repeated this method over and over now and it works for me every time.
I use the kill switch so I don’t where out the ignition switch.

It’s getting cold here so I can do it every time it cool down. I can post a video tomorrow if you like.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, if I here the faint click in between the other 2 then it will start and idle high. If I only here 2 then it will stall. I have repeated this method over and over now and it works for me every time.
I use the kill switch so I don’t where out the ignition switch.

It’s getting cold here so I can do it every time it cool down. I can post a video tomorrow if you like.
Yes, please do post a video if possible. It sounds like it will help a lot of us. Thanks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
A new muffler will not fix the problem. Not for me anyway.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Try putting your hand over the exhaust port on the muffler when you start it that will tell you if you need to be remapped I didn’t need to it’s worked perfect sense I added the exhaust but maybe yours does imo of course I’m by no means a ktm mechanic lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts