KTM 1090 Adventure Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I am new to this forum so thank you for having me.

After searching for an issue I am having, I have not been able to find any previous post that describes my symptoms exactly. It is my hope to document the process to help resolve this problem including interactions with KTM service department.

So let's begin.

As already stated the engine cuts out. The challenge is trying to figure out how random this is or if there is a pattern that can be identified.

So far it has only happened offroad going downhill. I have been trying to identify a pattern. This is what I have so far.

1 - Bike is configure in Sport Mode with Traction control and ABS turned off.
2 - Seems to occur after riding down technical terrain that requires lots of micro control of the clutch and brakes.
3 - Seems to occur 1-2 hours into the ride.

What exactly happens?

1 - Engine cuts out.
2 - Display panel is working but displays the engine warning light.
3 - About 15% of the times I can engage the run switch and the bike will start again.
4 - About 85% of the times I need to turn off the ignition wait 1-2 minutes and then the bike will start again.
5 - 100% of the times once this starts happening the frequency of the engine cutting out guaranteed to continue.
6 - After the bike makes it home 40% chance that just having the bike sit overnight the engine light will clear.

The bike has now been to the dealership 3-4 times and now this is where it gets interesting. In working with my mechanic we have tried to eliminate any additional factors. This included removing a passive fuse block that extended a SAE cable to the handlebars (for my cell phone) and extended my Garmin Zumo wiring harness to the handlebars. After riding in this configuration the problem presented again.

Drawed out of my service order invoices is see I am getting the following error codes.

(00E925) 59685 CAN ENGINE SIGNAL FAILURE
(00E934) 59700 CAN MCU FRAME ERROR
(00D706) U1706 CAN COMM NCM-ABS
(009012) B1012 DAY RUNNING LIGHT
(009024) B1024 FRONT POSITION LIGHT
(009010) B1010 ABS MODULE SUPPLY
(00D002) U1002 COM ERROR

We continue to troubleshoot and the story will continue.

My dealership is working with a master mechanic at KTM and I think we might be on the right track finally.

I am being asked to remove my Luggage Racks (Tour Tech), Skid Plate (Black Dog), rear tail platform (Black Dog) and non OEM Handlebars (Renthal).

I really hope this will resolve the problem!

If anybody out there has additional information that will assist KTM or my mechanic in resolving this issue please comment.

To be continued.

Cheers,
Alex

·
Registered
158 Posts
Rottweiler fueling dongles.

Seriously, leave your luggage racks attached, get these, remove your o2 sensors.

Don't look back.

Your check engine light stays on after this happens? My bike cut out on me three times when closing the throttle then blipping it going into a corner. Bike always fired back up but I did have to turn the key off then back on once, I believe the other two times it fired right back up.
I added the fueling dongles last summer and so far it has never happened again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1090yoyo - yes the engine light will stay on.

I have complied with the request of my mechanics and removed all hard parts. I am planning on riding tomorrow to see if I can throw the code.

I did remove the heated grips and the cyclops LED headlamps.

Let's see.

ADVAlex

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sidestand switch

I thought of that as well but I don't think that would be the case for this situation. I installed the Black Dog kickstand relocation kit. Part of that mod is closing the side stand relay sensor switch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Currently bike is at the dealership. The good news I believe, is finally the mechanic will address the errors that are being presented. I have asked the dealership to resolve the communication errors that re-occur even after clearing them. Seems to me that the bike is telling us what the problem is but dealership/KTM have been ignoring the error codes that are getting generated and focusing on things like handlebars, luggage racks, and skid plates. I am hoping with that focus to clear the communication errors the dealership will be able to work with KTM to find the root cause of the issue (even if they have to replace a few things).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
could be the side stand switch?
I thought of that as well but I don't think that would be the case for this situation. I installed the Black Dog kickstand relocation kit. Part of that mod is closing the side stand relay sensor switch.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well keep us informed.

I've got the BD kickstand relocation kit also (great mod! makes me sleep better at night for sure!), that wouldn't set of a check engine though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the conclusion to this warranty drama.

After 4-5 visits to the dealership, after removing almost all the hard parts (except centerstand) the root cause was a bad battery.

Oddly enough the battery passed the load test but evidently must have presented some issue. KTM master mechanic suggested replacing the battery.

After the replacement all the COM Errors went away.

KTM did honor the warranty and paid fully for the costs.

I did get a mild warning from my mechanic regarding additional electronic accessories that are not KTM powerparts when working with warranty issues.

I'm not sure how an adventure bike can be fully outfitted without some room to wiggle.

For example:

In my case this is what I had.

>Cyclops LED Headlamps.
>SAE cable to handlebars (Fused) for Android phone charging.
>Garmin Zumo wired and mounted on front handlebars (5.4 volts / 1 amp and fused).
>Powerparts heated handlebar grips (turn on or off).

Nothing in my mind is over the top.

So the big question is; how can ADV riders mount some equipment and not have issues with the manufacturer or the dealerships?

Most of this stuff was easily ruled out by simply removing or turning off the power to the devices so troubleshooting should have been easy.

Funny thing even after having this much effort going into a repair issue, I am just glad to have my bike back.

I still think the 1090R is one of the best bikes out there.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Bad batteries can cause weird problems, glad you got it sorted out and covered by KTM as well.

Doesn't make sense what your KTM mechanic said, he's just trying to sell you KTM parts. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had a similar issue with my 2018 1090R with 14k miles only my bike was cutting out at highway speeds as well. Occasionally it would just cut out quickly for just a second. Then it also started cutting out, ie it would drop to idle with no throttle response at all and the check engine and TC light comes on. (Went into limp mode). As soon as I cycled the key on and off it would start right back up and run normally. Check engine light would stay on for a cycle or two then go out. The code showed a TPS error.

Dealer couldn't find a problem with TPS. Had them change the fuel filter and they found a bad O ring in the pump. That wasn't the problem either. Dealer asked me about the battery voltage. My voltage was bouncing between 14 and 13.9v. Disconnected all Auxiliaries with no change. Replaced the battery and wallah, no further issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Turns out my problem wasn't solved. Had to take it back to the dealer. After a week of working with the factory techs. they finally figured out is was the accelerator position sensor in the throttle hand grip. Even though the bike is 2k miles and 2 months over warranty they still covered it under warranty. Bike runs better than it ever has.

·
Registered
65 Posts
totally makes sense what the mechanic said; they're trained to deal with the machine in its stock configuration, and there are plenty of people who bugger stuff up adding accessories that are not part of the original design.

that said, the expectation that people are going to customize things is probably why the warning from the mechanic was only "mild"; with PP accessories, at least the mechanic can report to corporate that all the mods on the machine are supposed to work together, and can more easily get support from corporate on Warranty.

Bad batteries can cause weird problems, glad you got it sorted out and covered by KTM as well.

Doesn't make sense what your KTM mechanic said, he's just trying to sell you KTM parts. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Turns out my problem wasn't solved. Had to take it back to the dealer. After a week of working with the factory techs. they finally figured out is was the accelerator position sensor in the throttle hand grip. Even though the bike is 2k miles and 2 months over warranty they still covered it under warranty. Bike runs better than it ever has.
Hi Bud, I have a 2018' 1090 R, bought in 2019', with only about 2300km. Recently rode it out to BC through the mountains, bike ran great for about 3 hours. We stopped for an hour then took off again outside air temp was about 30 DEG C. Ran good for maybe an hour then I pulled out to pass, and the bike wouldn't accelerate past 5800 RPM, was bogging, with no power. As soon as I let off the throttle below 5800 RPM it felt normal again. Immediately tried again and same. Tried all four Modes Sport through Offroad all the same, and in all the tall gears, 3rd thru 6th. It never quit as I've heard others have said.

The next day I rode it again and no issue, but it wasn't as hot or as long a ride. Not much dusty offroad, mostly highway speeds. Worried this might strand me somewhere.

The only thing I've added is a Rowe PDM60 Power Distribution Monitor. It's just a programmable circuit breaker hooked to the battery directly. A wire runs up to the tank bad, but there was no load on it that day.

Have you had any other problems since replacing the Throttle Position Sensor?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts