KTM 1090 Adventure Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the essential upgrades that are needed out of the box for the Adventure R? KTM was kind enough to give us a $500 gift card for Power Parts.

I am thinking....

Heated Grips
Dust protection Kit and Air Filter
Rally Footpegs
Skid plate
radiator protection grill

Future additions for me...
Handguards (KTM or Touratech?)
Aluminum paniers
heated seat
Aux led lights
touring screen

Yikes...it adds up doesn't it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It does add up and it doesn't really stop haha. The more you see come out on the market, the more you'll want and the mod bug is a true hungry one. The heated seat will probably be in the first batch for me along with the heated grips. It gets nippy in the night time haha.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I know how you guys feel. KTM's are easy to accept as long-term ownership bikes, thus easier to justify getting more accessories and/or mods. Starting from the top ergo's couldn't get better than this for me. KTM's and Duc's.

·
Registered
91 Posts
As well, I agree with this list and I'm sure many others will as well. I for sure plan on keeping mine for a very long period of time and I will be stuffing money into add-ons, modifications, and what not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I ordered the following:

Heated Grips
Dust protection Kit
Rally Footpegs
Skid plate (Back ordered)
Handguards aluminum (KTM )
Moose Panel Power port 12v plug

The $500 Powerparts card I got for doing a demo ride was very nice covered all of it except the skid plate.

Air Filter (Will switch at first service)
Aluminum paniers
heated seat
Aux led lights
Touring screen
radiator protection grill (stock plastic one looks pretty strong - will think about it)

·
Registered
193 Posts
So I ordered the following:

Heated Grips
Dust protection Kit
Rally Footpegs
Skid plate (Back ordered)
Handguards aluminum (KTM )
Moose Panel Power port 12v plug

The $500 Powerparts card I got for doing a demo ride was very nice covered all of it except the skid plate.

Air Filter (Will switch at first service)
Aluminum paniers
heated seat
Aux led lights
Touring screen
radiator protection grill (stock plastic one looks pretty strong - will think about it)
Keep us posted on how that heated seat treats you as you finally get it. Living up north we get some rideable colder conditions, so knowing how good/bad certain gear is helps me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A KTM skid plate and a can of chain lube ate up most of my KTM $500. Lol.

Additionally though, I added the Touratech 1190 upper crash bars (Yep... they fit), fork air bleeders, a headlight mesh guard and exhaust header armour.

I modded the bike with a waterproof "Battery Tender Junior" USB port which I mounted just behind the gauge bezel. It is connected to a

lengthened "Battery Tender Junior" power cord off the bike battery zip tied along the frame. Just disconnect the USB port and plug into the charger for overnight battery tending.

An inexpensive, handy electrical mod for cockpit mounted cell phone and gps power!

Ride on!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Don't suppose you have pictures of your modded KTM 1090? I'd like to see yours, especially the Touratech 1190 upper crash bar's fitment.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hm... looks pretty darn good like it's supposed to be there, looks great though! Is the fitment as great as it looks like on the photo ? I can imagine a lot of things do look different up close.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Starting to wish part of those bars were in black. Orange on KTM's are great but sometimes I feel KTM overkills it. Would anyone here wrap their bars in black vinyl entirely or partially?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The fitment is excellent. Like it was meant to be there. It has been tested already by yours truly.... Oops!

Durable! Which is what I wanted. 👍

Ride on!

·
Registered
4 Posts
DIY Gps (Above Gauges) Mounting Solution

I have constructed and installed an inexpensive Gps Mounting Bracket on my 1090 and... I love it!

Here is what it looks like with my DIY waterproof gps. I also mount a Garmin Oregon (removed for pic clarity). I always navigate off road with 2 GPS's. The Oregon zoomed in and the other Garmin zoomed out. Track up.....
But I digress....
... Back to the DIY Gps mount.

Materials

1 - old broomstick or wood dowel
2 - wood screws
1 - screwdriver
1 - drill bit, drill
1 - roll of black electrical tape (black duct tape)
1 - wood rasp
1 - Measuring Tape
1 - handsaw
1 - 1090 tool kit
1 - Black paint stick

Here is how... It's simple.
Measure the distance between the tops of the vertical windshield frame supports. (Just above the bulging round portions).
Cut the Broomstick to this inside length. Remove the windshield. Find the partially indented factory holes near the top of each windshield vertical frame support (adjacent to where the windshield Mounting screws bottom out) and drill them through.

Use the curved side of the rasp to shape the ends of the Broomstick. Once properly shaped they should fit neatly against the bulging rounded portions of the vertical frame supports. (See pic).

Hold the broomstick ends in place and drill through the vertical frame supports into the ends of it... to screw length.

Reinsert the broomstick piece and screw it into place at both ends.

Try to reinstall the windshield. All holes should line up nicely. If not, don't chance pressure against the windshield holes. Adjust the broomstick length with a saw or rasp.

Remove the broomstick piece and paint or tape it up. Reinstall it and the windshield. Success!

Now install your "handlebar style" mounted gps units. Enjoy!

Notes - I realize that these windshield frames are not designed for this. However the broomstick mount seems to reinforce the windshield frames and the GPS's don't weigh much. I offroad quite a bit with this bike and so far so good. Time will tell.
Share any thoughts for improvements!

... See my earlier post on an inexpensive usb power supply using a Battery Tender Junior lead from the battery to the cockpit...

Ride on!

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Now that looks pretty cool! Thanks for sharing that with us. Never seen someone use an old broom stick quite like that before haha.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think at some photography stores you might be able to get arms that will let you accomplish the same thing and won't take nearly as much effort. Great for those that don't have as many tools.

·
Registered
18 Posts
DIY Gps (Above Gauges) Mounting Solution

I have constructed and installed an inexpensive Gps Mounting Bracket on my 1090 and... I love it!

Here is what it looks like with my DIY waterproof gps. I also mount a Garmin Oregon (removed for pic clarity). I always navigate off road with 2 GPS's. The Oregon zoomed in and the other Garmin zoomed out. Track up.....
But I digress....
... Back to the DIY Gps mount.

Materials

1 - old broomstick or wood dowel
2 - wood screws
1 - screwdriver
1 - drill bit, drill
1 - roll of black electrical tape (black duct tape)
1 - wood rasp
1 - Measuring Tape
1 - handsaw
1 - 1090 tool kit
1 - Black paint stick

Here is how... It's simple.
Measure the distance between the tops of the vertical windshield frame supports. (Just above the bulging round portions).
Cut the Broomstick to this inside length. Remove the windshield. Find the partially indented factory holes near the top of each windshield vertical frame support (adjacent to where the windshield Mounting screws bottom out) and drill them through.

Use the curved side of the rasp to shape the ends of the Broomstick. Once properly shaped they should fit neatly against the bulging rounded portions of the vertical frame supports. (See pic).

Hold the broomstick ends in place and drill through the vertical frame supports into the ends of it... to screw length.

Reinsert the broomstick piece and screw it into place at both ends.

Try to reinstall the windshield. All holes should line up nicely. If not, don't chance pressure against the windshield holes. Adjust the broomstick length with a saw or rasp.

Remove the broomstick piece and paint or tape it up. Reinstall it and the windshield. Success!

Now install your "handlebar style" mounted gps units. Enjoy!

Notes - I realize that these windshield frames are not designed for this. However the broomstick mount seems to reinforce the windshield frames and the GPS's don't weigh much. I offroad quite a bit with this bike and so far so good. Time will tell.
Share any thoughts for improvements!

... See my earlier post on an inexpensive usb power supply using a Battery Tender Junior lead from the battery to the cockpit...

Ride on!

Followed your lead! Thanks for the idea!

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
The crash bar and hand guard combo blends in perfectly with the KTM design and they look great! Also wouldn't know it was a broomstick if DirKTM didn't mention it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts