KTM 1090 Adventure Forum banner

Kim 1090 problems

31K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Jcgordon 
#1 ·
I recently bought a new KTM 1090 from a dealer here in Oregon I rode it right off the lot and took it on a trip , less than 600 miles and had many problems with the bike , starting problems , knocking sounds and vibrations , I took it back to the dealer and the issued me one more bike , I asked them what happened to the other bike and they will not tell and KTM also will not tell me , it seems there is issues with the 1090 and they are trying to not let the public know . Don't buy a 1090 they are junk !

#2 ·
KTM's aren't perfect, but you are the first that I have heard where they replaced the bike (I could be wrong though). They do have their quirks (clunky shifting, odd noises), but this is all completely normal from my experiences. Also finding neutral can be tough some times. I now have 2000 miles on mine and seems that shifting is getting smoother and neutral is getting easier to find. I too have experienced the starting and then dies. I have remedied this by always blipping the throttle as I start bike and problem is solved.

Keep us updated if you here any info.

But without starting a keyboard war I believe your comment that KTM's are junk is a complete miss.

#9 ·
I'm not sensing a lot of KTM love in these forums .... of course I'm not helping either. Hasn't the 1090 been out since 2017. Why can't KTM pull their heads out of their rear ends and focus on some reliability. I can say at this point if I had come across these forums I probable would have went with another brand, which kind of sucks as the bike performs really well.

#11 ·
Ive have had an intermittent knock/ noise since about 5000 miles. I have called KTM "customer service" many times while the bike was under warranty. KTM told me to take it to the crappy KTM dealer near me. They never bothered to diagnosed the noise, and told me it was normal KTM noise. Now at 18k miles and not under it's stupid 1 year warranty its bad and in another shop. Its out if warranty now an KTM says they have no record of my calls and concerns/complaints.. even though i spoke directly to the KTM regional service manager multiple time, who assured me he would put notes it their internal system regarding my concerns about the noise. He also told me the notes he was making who cover me out of warranty if there was a problem with the engine. Now KTM says they won't cover it likely.. only 18k of mostly commuting. The current KTM dealer wgo has my bike says its likely a crank thrust bearing. Repair requires likely an engine overhaul.. thrust bearing failure is normally do to improper assembly and /or tolerances.. not commuting. I feel like i am being totally screwed hard by KTM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.