KTM 1090 Adventure Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yep. I used the Metisse collar on the rear shock & we dropped the forks through the triple clamps 30mm & it's perfect for me at 5'8". We also cut the stand down to suit. I have a centre stand on there but didn't need to cut it. Handling is not affected although it may bottom the rear easier. I haven't managed to do that yet though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Always assumed handling is affected negatively when you change the ground clearance from stock. how much did you end up lowering your KTM 1090 overall?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey Adventurer, 30-40mm lower with springs on factory settings. If you are bottoming the suspension out increase spring preload front & rear. As far as geometry is concerned, it handles so much better than anything else I've owned, I can't pick it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Camel Rider, rear shock out, compress spring & remove factory collar. Fit custom lowering collar, reassemble & reinstall. Loosen triple clamps & drop fork tubes through so they protrude through the top. The side stand will need to be shortened or I think a shorter one can be purchased. Check your local dealer for that. A few hundred dollars is cheaper than dropping your 1090 if you lose your footing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My bike is in for a service today (600 miles) it is also getting the Metisse collar fitted. I’m hoping it does the trick for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got back from the dealers.

The bike serviced and it’s been lowered. It has made a big difference to me.

I’ve only done about 25 miles so far and I cannot notice any difference on the road apart from the additional power available to me after the service:grin2:

·
Registered
139 Posts
My bike is in for a service today (600 miles) it is also getting the Metisse collar fitted. I’m hoping it does the trick for me.

I also have the Metisse collar fitted to my bike, although it does help another extra inch would be nice.

I was looking at a solution from a company called Solid Performance but after a month of run around and then finally, sorry cant do it for ya. I have decided to take my time and figure this out over the winter when I will not be using my bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just installed the Metisse collar and its perfect, I can flat foot the ground on one side and be balls of foot on both side now, so I can walk the bike forward or back on flat ground now which I couldn't do before and im comfortable at lights and stops which were sketchy before. Also restored the proper geometry and handling (I had the forks raised on their own before which made the front end quite twitchy). Although I don't recommend installing it the way I did, it took me about an hour. Laid the bike on its side to get the shock out, then put it in a vise and used two rachet strap to compress the spring just enough to slip the OE spring plates out and slip the metisse collar in before the straps gave out or exploded. had to cut the straps to release as the rachet wasn't going to release, lol. Im actually amazed it worked.

Im 5'10" with 32" inseam to give an idea of how much it lowered. I fiqure I lost an inch exactly which was perfect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just installed the Metisse collar and its perfect, I can flat foot the ground on one side and be balls of foot on both side now, so I can walk the bike forward or back on flat ground now which I couldn't do before and im comfortable at lights and stops which were sketchy before. Also restored the proper geometry and handling (I had the forks raised on their own before which made the front end quite twitchy). Although I don't recommend installing it the way I did, it took me about an hour. Laid the bike on its side to get the shock out, then put it in a vise and used two rachet strap to compress the spring just enough to slip the OE spring plates out and slip the metisse collar in before the straps gave out or exploded. had to cut the straps to release as the rachet wasn't going to release, lol. Im actually amazed it worked.

Im 5'10" with 32" inseam to give an idea of how much it lowered. I fiqure I lost an inch exactly which was perfect.
Nice. I'm set to do mine in a couple of weeks. After the install, did you then have to adjust the suspension to account for the mod? Did you need a new/revised kickstand?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice. I'm set to do mine in a couple of weeks. After the install, did you then have to adjust the suspension to account for the mod? Did you need a new/revised kickstand?
Im still playing with rear preload settings as im running panniers as well now so compensating for the extra weight etc. I had already modded the kickstand and made it threaded so I can screw the foot in but yes you'll have to shorten it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im still playing with rear preload settings as im running panniers as well now so compensating for the extra weight etc. I had already modded the kickstand and made it threaded so I can screw the foot in but yes you'll have to shorten it.

Hi , got the metisse collar incoming in a few days.
Can you show picture or explain how you adapted the sidestand ? :smile2:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do it the right way and order a kit from MOTO Lab consists of new springs and shocks and internal spacers. Have it install by MOTO Lab or get your suspension mechanic to install. This way if you ever want to convert back to stock you will be able to with stock Springs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Today arrived my Métisse collar. Installing it took like a small hour , very easy to do.
With my 5foot4 ,it’s perfect now.
Coming Saturday my mate is going to weld the side stand , in the mean time I use central stand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Today arrived my Métisse collar. Installing it took like a small hour , very easy to do.
With my 5foot4 ,it’s perfect now.
Coming Saturday my mate is going to weld the side stand , in the mean time I use central stand.
I've done the same and want to get a center stand. Any issues with the center stand after lowering?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts