KTM 1090 Adventure Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I threw a set of the Motoz Tractionator Rallz and grip has significantly improved. I still feel, however, that this bike should pull better on the bottom end. Midrange and high end are great, but some OOOOMPH down low would be fantastic... especially for off roading, wheelies, etc. Perhaps I'm simply comparing it to my Super Duke R, but I bet I'm not alone in this silliness.

What can be done, relatively easily, to get more bottom end? I was thinking drop a tooth in the front and add a couple in the rear. Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance!

Andy

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've thought about dropping a tooth up front since buying the bike, I do a bit of gravel roads and a few pretty steep. Honestly, I'd much rather have the low end torque than the top end speed. However, with some clutch feathering, so far, I haven't changed it out.
I would personally think changing both sprockets would create a bit of a monster... ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree and am leaning that way... adding w2 in the rear and dropping 1 in the front... I'm still mulling it over.

I want the bike to have more low end snap as opposed to mid and high end power. I have other bikes for going fast on if that's what I feel like doing. I just want to be able to snap the throttle in 2nd or 3rd and have the rear wheel hook up for wheelies, or whatever...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see you can drop 1 up front and add 3 in the rear. I read that dropping the front can cause excessive chain slap, so I'm now thinking of going with a 17/45 set... Thoughts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: I'm just going to go for it and do the 16/45. I ordered the parts including the new chain this morning and they'll arrive this weekend. Hopefully Monday, I can get this installed and report back.

Reactions: 1090yoyo

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, we put on the new sprockets today, but unfortunately, a big cold front with rain came in dropping the temps to 35, windy, and wet, so testing was limited to say the least. I will say, however, that there was an ENORMOUS difference in how the bike snaps off the bottom in the first 3 gears. From the limited exposure I had, I believe it was just what I was looking for. It was a 16 front and a 45 on the rear. I'm very excited for this weekend :) A huge thank you to all who helped me figure this out!!!!!!

Andy

·
Registered
158 Posts
**** yeah!!! "I'm just gonna go for it" now them's KTM words! :)

When you can get it out on the road, can you let me know what RPM's your at while cruising at 70?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure. That will be in a few days as we have a wet cold front upon us now

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
**** yeah!!! "I'm just gonna go for it" now them's KTM words! :)

When you can get it out on the road, can you let me know what RPM's your at while cruising at 70?

The weather cleared today. At 70 MPH the tach was reading a whisker under 4600

1 - 9 of 9 Posts