KTM 1090 Adventure Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ive taken the plunge and placed a deposit on a 2019/18700miles 1090 Adventure.

How reliable are 1090s and how do they handle big miles? It'll be used ALOT. For instance I passed my bike test 3 months ago and I've already done 4,500miles (1500 on a European trip). The bike has had a full KTM fluids/valve clearances checked at 18,000 mile service.

It'll be used in Winter also.

Am I being a wimp for being slightly 'scared' of the bike? I've not ridden it yet but I'm thinking that maybe its just going to be an animal and too fast?

My first bike (current) is a Triumph Tiger 800.

My other choice was a nearly new Suzuki Vstrom 1050 but I don't think I'll stop, turn and look at it like I would the KTM and its nearly 40kgs heavier than the 1090. I don't want a heavy bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok ive taken the plunge and placed a deposit on a 2019/18700miles 1090 Adventure.

How reliable are 1090s and how do they handle big miles? It'll be used ALOT. For instance I passed my bike test 3 months ago and I've already done 4,500miles (1500 on a European trip). The bike has had a full KTM fluids/valve clearances checked at 18,000 mile service.

It'll be used in Winter also.

Am I being a wimp for being slightly 'scared' of the bike? I've not ridden it yet but I'm thinking that maybe its just going to be an animal and too fast?

My first bike (current) is a Triumph Tiger 800.

My other choice was a nearly new Suzuki Vstrom 1050 but I don't think I'll stop, turn and look at it like I would the KTM and its nearly 40kgs heavier than the 1090. I don't want a heavy bike.
Hello,
I am a Geordie expat living in San Diego.
I had bmw F800gs’ for the last 10 years. Very similar In size and power to the Tiger 800’s.
I did a 2500 mile ride through Baja January of 21 on a ride by wire 2017 f800. Very different bike to the non ride by wire bikes. For the first time, my riding capability exceeded that of the bike. I repaired my mates 1090r, then took it for a test ride and was hooked on the power and capability of the bike.
I got a hard ridden used 2017 with 35000 miles on it for about $9000. I had some electrical gremlins on it when I did a 1000 mile solo off road ride in Arizona. The throttle just would stop responding, I couldn’t figure out what it was but I had a few pretty hard knocks first day and then it just disappeared.
So my conclusion would be that the engines and power are brilliant, off road capability is amazing but the wiring loom is a bit iffy. If you are any way reasonable as a mechanic you should buy one.
I am hooked on KTMs now. I may switch out to an 890R.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Plotohora
I just part exd a tiger 800 for a 1090. Read my post on 450 mile ride. I would say the tiger is a bike that was designed to do a job . Very well. whereas the KTM sort of evolved into what it is. Strange thing for an adventure bike it has a very sports bike like engine A lot more character though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts