KTM 1090 Adventure Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Located in SW Wales and looks like I have reached the end of my internal debate whether to change bike and buy a 1090R.

Previous steeds - Kawa ZX6, Triumph T-Bird Sport, Kawa KLE500, Lifan/Dax copy, Triumph Scrambler, Suzi DRZ400.

Took my first ride on a KTM 1090 Adventure today and it ticks the boxes but it was not an R as they unfortunately a demo R was not available. But an R it will be. Looking at the numbers it is doable if I move the Triumph Scrambler on or PX it at the figure they have suggested.

Only issue was I was keeping it all quiet at home until the decision was made but SWMBO found the brochures and caught me out tonight. Still going to happen though :x:grin2:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was able to ride the Adventure and the Adventure R back to back last week and there is no contest!

The ADV felt lacklustre by comparison, suspension is OK but not a patch on the ADV R. I also found the R to be more comfortable, the front end sits slightly higher so less pressure on my wrists and the short screen is much better than the taller one with no buffeting at all (I couldn't find a position where the tall screen worked for me).

I loved it so much, i've placed an order for one :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Bike arrived on Wednesday and in the end I decided on the 1090 Adv. Realistically 95% of the time it will be on the tarmac and 5% gravelly trails so the R would have been overkill IMHO.

Something I need to get used to is the height and CoG. Coming from a Triumph Scrambler and having that for 8 years the size of the 1090 is going to be a hurdle even with a 32" inside leg and at 6ft tall. I only did 30 miles after picking it up and lost my footing in a gravel car park and had to lay it down - minor scratch on one engine bar (I ordered those and the two piece Ergo). Even though the balls of my feet touch the floor on the level filling the tank right up just after I picked it up was probably not the best idea on a new and strange bike?

I managed 100 miles over the next two days in between childcare and other jobs and when I went to start it on Friday...nothing. Fuel pump didn't cycle and the engine management light stayed on. No go! Bike went back to the dealer today for investigation and so far the only comment I have had back was, 'the fuel pump is not communicating over the CanBus'. I am sure they will fully diagnose on Monday?

So far the bike has been Datatag'd for security after I got it home and an aux socket fitted. Next challenge will be luggage or at the very least a quality rear rack. The KTM one is not designed for a solid 'top box' (I have a few spare Peli's) and it needs a support base. My favorite is the Tusk but shipping at duty don't do that any favours? Oh then 'Canisterectomy' and SAS removal. R plastic rad guard will be picked up next week (along with the bike).

More importantly I need to get out and ride and get used to the handling. Years ago I had a Triumph T-Bird Sport which was similar in weight and CoG. Additional low speed training would be a good idea too and I may sign up for that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shame about the problems Marlin, I get my "R" on Friday :smile2:
Dealer phoned back today and apparently they....FUBAR'd. They left the KTM 'security' function engaged therefore at 100mls switch off the ignition = no starty! Back to collect tomorrow. :x

·
Registered
158 Posts
That seems to have happened a few times.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First service free and a free rad guard as a sweetener though.

An evening of farkle ordering:-

Heen skid plate - It doesn't need to deflect Rocks!
Heen GPS mount
Tusk luggage rack

Gotta start somewhere? ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
First service free and a free rad guard as a sweetener though.

An evening of farkle ordering:-

Heen skid plate - It doesn't need to deflect Rocks!
Heen GPS mount
Tusk luggage rack

Gotta start somewhere? ;)

Wow good for you, my dealer delivered my Adventure R with one of the fuel petcocks closed. As such the bike died on the side of the highway showing 130km remaining. I had the bike towed and had to complain to get them to cover the towing and in the end they only gave me a credit. So far not at all satisfied with my dealer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts