KTM 1090 Adventure Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is all I've found so far. People check that social media !

KTM 1090 Adventure R spec sheet at New York IMS

Moving away from the road-centric variant available in Europe, the KTM 1090 Adventure R is a more serious product for riders who are ready to hit the dirt. The powertrain is the same 1,050 cc V-twin mill coupled with a slipper clutch and 6 speed gearbox. It is capable of producing 125 PS of maximum power which is 30 percent more than the 1050 Adventure.

The KTM 1090 Adventure R gets spoked 21 inch wheel up front and 18 inch at the rear, both wrapped in Continental TKC 80 Twinduro tyres. The bike is suspended over fully adjustable upside down fork by WP in the front and mono shock in the rear with same levels of adjustability by WP. Both front and rear offer 220 mm of travel.

ABS is standard and a special off-road mode is available which switches ABS off in the rear wheel while the front wheel remains active. Even the front ABS can be disengaged to take things in the old school way. The screen, footpegs, handlebar and levers are adjustable. The frame and crashbars have been painted orange.

The KTM 1090 Adventure R is priced at USD 14,699.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Do you think KTM is trying to compete against BMW and the R1200GS Adventure? That seems to be the adventure bike to beat and there's even a race around the GS models.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure that's their goal as a competitor. The R1200GS is like the staple in adventure bikes. That race that they have around it called the GS Trophy I think is intense, and those bikes are all they use and they get it done.

·
Registered
103 Posts
One area where the R1200GS does win is displacement. It has a 1,170 cc engine compared to the KTM 1090's 1050cc. But I think it'll be down to torque delivery.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Competing is always the reason although they're not doing it directly. KTM's are a whole different flavor but it's not discouraging for anyone serious about getting one and have very good reason for liking what KTM offers.

There's always going to be some price to pay to go for one brand over another, much like with any other product you buy.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rarely do people go and purchase something based off of written specs. Specs on paper compared to how they actually ride are two different things. You can't write down feel.

Then you have brand preference and brand loyalty.

·
Registered
103 Posts
With a starting price of $14,699 I think the Adventure R's main competition will be the Honda Africa Twin. They're both around the same price and made for off road adventures.

·
Registered
193 Posts
They're both extremely capable bikes.

Still prefer the aesthetics of the Adventure R ;)
I'm in a similar boat plus how often do you see KTM's? .... I thought so.

Spotting one of these on the street, it will get probably just as much attention as some of the Ducati's do, and at best what you see out there are Ducati's, the rest are Honda's, Kawi's and Yami's.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most definitely, I can't remember the last time I've seen one to be honest. Especially when going to hang out with the guys, you'll be an exclusive!

·
Registered
193 Posts
On top of that is the fact that these stand out just due to color scheme, KTM's are almost the loudest out there in design and are like nothing else out there. On that note it might be time KTM deviated from the level of orange they typically add.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd be interested to see these wrapped in different colors. The color scheme they come with is what gives them that pop, if they were all black... it would disappear and lose it's appeal I think

·
Registered
193 Posts
Unless it was different tones of black used on different parts then that might do a lot of good, again it comes back to how someone is using various colors or a type of colors and various tones of that color. May ways to go about it really.

·
Registered
103 Posts
A wrap would be best on the KTM 1090 because it'll only be a matter of time until stray debris knicks the fairings. I'd probably just cover the panels with clear wrap and call it a day, just for protective purposes and the factory design looks pretty good already.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think they lost the appeal in those colors. Having the white, orange, black kinda combination is what really makes them what they are and easily distinguishable. Maybe put a satin clear PPF over the bike if you want it slightly different

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just imagine if it was the other way around with blue on the bars instead of orange, that would be an interesting look but its too bad that most KTm owners keep it orange, can't blame them, with bikes as fun as KTM's you would be took caught up in riding to worry about little things like colors.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For sure, they're more about the enjoyment of riding over the aesthetic appeals like it usually is with sport bikes an what not, but hey... sometimes it's all in the fun and being even more different than you already are as a KTM owner ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I doubt we'll see much of modifications in the color range but I would love to see it. I know there will be individuals that get it done, I just hope they're on the forum!

·
Registered
193 Posts
KTM is expanding their customer reach it seems and with that will come the higher chance of people making changes like that. Most KTM guys get on and ride but more city riders means more visual changes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts