KTM 1090 Adventure Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took ownership of a 2018 KTM 1090 R and have noticed almost immediately that when shifting through the gears it feels a bit clunky or at least very pronounced. Is this something anyone else has experienced? I've been riding all sorts of bikes for 20 years, so I'm not new to riding scene, but it just feels different than any other bike before.

I'm hoping if anything this is just a break in phase. Any help would be appreciated.

Currently have 120 miles on bike.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mine does the same, my Ducati was similar as well. There’s also a lot of noise when idling in neutral with the clutch out...just a really stout gear set.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are you using clutch or no clutch when shifting jam20ster? Mine's at 6000kms & I'd say it has "smoothened" a little, but I shift no clutch up & down when on the pegs on dirt, but usually clutch sitting (a habit I suppose) especially on the road. The gearbox has to be big/strong enough to handle the power & torque of this engine so I have no problem if it does feel a little clunky. KTM gearboxes are not known for breaking.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m using clutch. I have yet to off-road bike. When I ride my 450 sxf I rarely use clutch. This bike so far I have used clutch 100% of the time though. If this is normal I can get used to it, but definitely a first for me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just put 340 miles on 1090 today. I’m either getting used to the shifting or it seems to be getting better. I’ll continue to monitor and give updates. Should be hitting when 620 mile first service soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I took delivery of a 2017 1090R two weeks ago and when I rode off the lot, couldn't get the bike in neutral when it was running. When the engine was off, it went in just fine. Rode around a mile or so, same thing. Rode back to the dealer and we checked another 1090 in the showroom, same deal. Now I have about 200 miles on it and it's already getting easier. Overall though, transmission feels tasty. Probably a mileage thing, mine had 0 miles on it when I got her.

·
Registered
65 Posts
pretty normal
I got my agent to take out, side engine covers plus changed to a thinner oil.
All same same… clunky.... 10k on clock and going good.
So in a nutshell its normal.
R

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, mine is somewhat clunky too, seems the hotter it gets, the more clunky it gets. I used to have an Africa Twin and it's basically the exact same thing as the AT. Still have issues getting into neutral from first so I go to N from second...

·
Registered
48 Posts
The 1090 R I test rode (twice) the other week felt quite normal to me but perhaps that's because I already ride a 690 and an EXC, so I.m guessing its normally clunky and i've just got used to it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ive owned a couple ktms now and one ive noticed is they are clunky but you get used to it. One thing that irritates me is the hassel it is to find neutral. its such a pain.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I rode my wife's BMW G310R to work for a few days as i'm in the process of selling my 690 and don't want to put too many extra miles on it. And it's just as hard to find neutral as on my two KTMs!

The gearbox is also pretty clunky but I did start the week with only 400 miles on the clock, it's now at 550 and definitely feels a bit easier.... or maybe I'm just getting used to it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts