KTM 1090 Adventure Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel gauge stuck on full last weekend while on a camping trip, first time in 8500 miles.
Yesterday I removed the float tube from the right side of the tank, popped the cap from the bottom and removed the float.
It had what looked like a residue on it, the float is while (off-white) but it looked stained, I'm guessing buildup from Ethanol (?), so I took a light sanding pad and cleaned it up. Now the float slides much more freely. After about two starts the gauge is reading accurate again. Time will tell.
Overall this was a one hour fix. Easy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is a common problem with this part.
What's happening is the float is the same size as a recessed lip in the upper cap and can stick.
The solution is to lightly round off the upper edge of the float to prevent sticking..

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh, thank you! That makes much more sense....design flaw.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You're welcome.
If it happens again & you sand down the edge, put it all back together and test it by holding it upside down and tapping the top cap down on a solid surface. You should hear the float slide back when you turn it right side up. Repeat a few times to make sure it's unstuck.
It does take a bit of time for the computer to start reading the fuel level correctly after the fix.
BTW, this part is under warranty, KTM will replace it for free...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Much more rewarding doing it yourself. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rode 200 miles on Saturday, filled up once and no sticking!
When I pulled back into the garage my odometer read exactly 9000.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I heard this is a flaw in the "old" fuel gauge and KTM has now got an updated part for this. I have tried "smoothing" out that floating device but it would just sink. The dealer replaced mine for free.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you get your bike in the city or east side or west side? Just curious which dealer?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts