KTM 1090 Adventure Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, First time poster here.
I own a 2017 KTM 1090 Adventure R with about 6000 miles on it.

It's had a consistent problem since I bought it last summer were the throttle will just stop working. Sometimes it happens a ton close together then it will be fine a week. I'll be ripping down a road or in traffic and all the sudden have a dead bike, no throttle response, beneath me which can be either dangerous or just pretty irritating/frustrating.

After keying off and restarting a few or many times, the throttle eventually start responding again...sometimes just for a few minutes before failing again up to a few days tops.

I've taken it into the local dealer 3 times $200-600 a pop and they keep saying it's fixed but it shows back up shortly after. (They've replaced the battery, wired my radio differently, and reset the computer to clear the codes.)

The only add-ons besides the radio I added after the problem was already happening, are heated grips, a skid plate, and luggage racks otherwise it's stock.

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions? My friends are split between telling me to just sell it or keep taking it back to the dealership for 'repairs'.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, First time poster here.
I own a 2017 KTM 1090 Adventure R with about 6000 miles on it.

It's had a consistent problem since I bought it last summer were the throttle will just stop working. Sometimes it happens a ton close together then it will be fine a week. I'll be ripping down a road or in traffic and all the sudden have a dead bike, no throttle response, beneath me which can be either dangerous or just pretty irritating/frustrating.

After keying off and restarting a few or many times, the throttle eventually start responding again...sometimes just for a few minutes before failing again up to a few days tops.

I've taken it into the local dealer 3 times $200-600 a pop and they keep saying it's fixed but it shows back up shortly after. (They've replaced the battery, wired my radio differently, and reset the computer to clear the codes.)

The only add-ons besides the radio I added after the problem was already happening, are heated grips, a skid plate, and luggage racks otherwise it's stock.

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions? My friends are split between telling me to just sell it or keep taking it back to the dealership for 'repairs'.
I have had the exact same thing happen to me. Same year but with about 36k on it.
I bought the bike last May and it started about a month or so later. I took the throttle apart and it didn’t seem to be a bad connection.
In September, I took it on a solo trip to do the AZ back country discovery route. I took the hard route and the bike kept shutting off in some quite technical spots.
it was a pretty hard days riding and I had some fairly hard falls with it. Needless to say I was gutted. However, the rest of the trip was perfect. Like you my fix was to shut the bike off a few times and it would fire up, but after the hammering it got that first day it’s been perfect.
I have done a fair amount of street riding and a really long and gritty Baja run since and not a peep.
That leads me to believe it’s a bad connection/short kind of issue. If I was you I’d follow the lines all the way to the throttle bodies and see if you can spot anything that’s shorting out.
12 years of BMW F800’s and the only issue in 4 bikes was a fuel pump failure in Baja. However, I am sold on KTM now. Just a beast of a bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m sure the shop checked where you tapped power for the radio but that could be an issue. I tapped a switched power wire on one of the “unused” plugs in the tail section. I had run ability issues in that it wouldn’t shut off unless I used the kill switch (key wouldn’t work). Dealer after speaking with the main US trouble shooting team fixed it with a new key ECU etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts